Red Ribbon Week
August 30, 2017
Gilbert Intermediate will be celebrating Red Ribbon week October 23rd - 27th Students in our school will be participating in a variety of activities throughout the week to encourage healthy, drug-free lifestyles. The Red Ribbon campaign was launched when Federal Agent Enrique Camarena was murdered by drug traffickers in 1985. The Red Ribbon creates positive peer pressure about drug-free choices and is the rallying point for millions of children and adults who share the commitment to live healthy drug-free lives.
Your family can demonstrate your commitment to healthy drug-free lifestyles by wearing and displaying RED RIBBONS during RED RIBBON WEEK. RED RIBBON week provides a wonderful opportunity for “teachable moments” with our children. Discuss what the acceptable “standards of behavior” are for your family. Listed below are ideas for strengthening your family for drug-free living from the American Council for Drug Education.
- Start drug prevention early.
- Remember that you are a role model for your child.
- Take advantage of every teachable moment.
- Reinforce the information and rules you teach.
- Know what is going on in your child’s life at home, at school and with friends.
- Know the attitudes towards drug and alcohol which your child may be learning from other role models.
- Don’t be afraid to set limits.
- Learn the telltale signs of drug and alcohol use.
- If you think your child is trying drugs or alcohol, do something about it.
- Keep in touch with the parents of your child’s friends.
- Remember, parent power is stronger than peer pressure.
Your children are important to us! Let’s work together to let the students at Gilbert Intermediate know that, “They need to Love Themselves and Be Drug Free!”
Other ways your child can participate:
- Volunteer to participate in poster contest, details given in class
- #LiveRed social media campaign during Red Ribbon Week
- Participate in photo contest to win an iPad & $1,000.00 for your school by going to www.redribbon.org
- Take the Red Ribbon Week Parent and Youth Pledge on www.redribbon.org
- Create the 2018 National Red Ribbon Campaign theme. Email or mail your idea by Dec. 1st to the Red Ribbon Organization. Details on www.redribbon.org
Please help our students remember these special days listed below:
Thank you for your support during RED RIBBON WEEK!!
Counselor Gilbert Intermediate
We are all butterflies waiting to happen:)